Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"A Beautiful Oops" - A Favorite Book for Helping Kids to LOVE Making Mistakes!

Something sad happened in my classroom today. It's happened before, so luckily ... I knew what to do about it.

I was creating artwork with the children. We were doing a line study. We talked about horizontal lines, vertical lines, curved lines, and lines that curve into each other to act like playful roller coasters. We talked about different basic media--Crayons, colored pencils, markers, and paints. We shared ways our abstract art looked like something different to everyone who saw it.

Everything seemed to be going well...Until a child started crying. She didn't like her artwork. She started hitting herself and calling herself names. I said to her (Let's call her Ann), "Nobody hits my friend Ann...Nobody...And nobody is allowed to call my friend Ann mean names...Nobody!"

This seemed to change her mindset a little. But she was still sad.

A Beautiful Oops book review via Crafting ConnectionsThen, I pulled out one of my favorite books. It's great for grades K-6 ... It's called "A Beautiful Oops," by Barney Saltzberg. On each page, the author features a mistake. On the following page, he turns it into something beautiful. Ripped paper becomes an alligator. A hot cocoa stain transforms into a frog. I love the words..."A smudge or a smear" ... (Turn the page to see amazing art) ... "Can make magic appear."

The whole class appreciated their artwork a little more. Each child was more motivated to take risks. Thanks, so much, Ann, for your "Beautiful Oops." Because you shared your feelings with us, I thought to read this book ... And the whole class made better, more inspired artwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment